About The Katie Fund & How To Support Our Nonprofit
Learn about our commitment to Emergency Care when it’s most needed. Your donation can save a life!
As Charlottesville, Virginia’s only 24-hour emergency animal care center, we see a lot of unfortunate care cases including animals that have been abused, neglected, or hurt in accidents. Many of these animals do not have owners to cover the costs associated with their care. And emergencies can also put a financial strain on even the most loving pet owners.
Through donations to our non-profit fund from our generous and caring community, we’ve helped hundreds of animals receive crucial care. Your donation helps us push on with our mission to save lives.
No donation is too small, and every little bit makes a huge difference! As veterinarians, nothing brings us more joy and motivation than essential care to those animals that need it. However, we cannot do it alone.
Every contribution helps!
Meet Some of the Animals You Have Helped
Click on images below to learn the story about pets your donation has helped, like Oscar Phoenix, an American pit bull who suffered horrific injuries from animal abuse. Thanks to the Katie Fund, and our partners at Ring Dog Rescue and the Humane Society, Oscar Phoenix is now a happy, healthy, well adjusted member of a caring family!
For Animals When They Need it Most
The Katie Fund was established in 1999 with a donation from Mr. and Mrs. Melvin McCauley. In honor of their gift, we named the fund after their beloved dog, Katie. You can carry on their legacy with a tax-deductible donation.
Your donation allows our VETSS doctors to stabilize the animals in need, assess their injuries or medical situation, and provide treatment. Once the animal is stable, we transfer them to our wonderful SPCA, where they are cared for until they find a loving home!
The Katie Fund – Simple, Tax-Deductible, and Life-Saving Fund by VETSS
Our Upcoming Events
For our upcoming fundraisers and other opportunities to support the Katie Fund, view our Facebook events:
Saving Strays and Helping Families!
Most of our Katie’s Fund patients are lost or stray animals in need of life-saving treatment or surgery. VETSS is proud to work with the Wildlife Center of Virginia to care for wildlife from around the region. We also receive patients from regional animal control agencies and offer discounted spays and neuters for local rescue groups. Learn more about our rescue partners in the FAQ.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Katie Fund
If you have a question that is not answered here please contact us.
How do I donate?
We have partnered with the Veterinary Care Foundation to process our donations. Click this link to make a secure and simple online donation.
Do you partner with other community rescue groups?
Yes. In fact, a majority of our Katie Fund recipients come to us from our rescue partners. These include:
- Dogs Deserve Better — Dedicated to freeing chained and penned dogs, their mission is to provide a better life for abused, neglected and abandoned canines in Charlottesville
- Houses of Wood and Straw project — A community service project which exists to construct wooden dog houses and deliver them, along with bales of straw bedding and other essential items, to outside dogs in Charlottesville and surrounding counties
- Cat Action Team — Protecting feral cats in Howard County, MD
- Ring Dog Rescue — A rescue group dedicated to “Pit Bull type dogs”, which are defined as any dog having bulldog lineage in Richmond, VA
- Happy Homes Rescue — Happy Homes Animal Rescue is is a no-kill, all-volunteer shelter
- Second Chance Dog Rescue — A nonprofit dog shelter and community resource for responsible pet ownership in Stafford, VA
- Caring for Creatures — Caring For Creatures is a not-for-profit, no kill shelter established in 1987 dedicated to caring for homeless animals and enhancing the human-animal bond in Palmyra, VA
- Green Dogs Unleashed — A non-profit organization committed to rescuing animals in need, rehabilitating them and professionally training them to become therapy dogs, located in Troy, VA
How do the doctors determine an animal’s eligibility to receive care from the Katie Fund?
Each animal is considered on a case-by-case basis. Our veterinarians evaluate how critical the procedure or treatment is to its survival and lifelong health.
A small number are pets with families who cannot afford the care their loved one needs. Animals are selected on a case-by-case basis. Our practice manager will evaluate the owners’ financial need and present the case to the veterinarians, who will make the final decision.
Is my Katie Fund donation tax-deductible?
How can I report an animal in need for the Katie Fund?
Do you accept abused animals?
Your funds go solely to emergency treatment expenses and care. Tax-deductible, 501c3 non-profit.
About Our Practice
Veterinary Emergency Treatment Services & Specialty has served Charlottesville and the surrounding communities since 1989. We provide general wellness checkups for cats and dogs, and 24 hour emergency care for just about any animal in need.