This month finds VETSS in a period of transition. Historically, we have provided emergency veterinary care 24 hours a day. We are passionate about saving our critical pets!
However, we recently added general veterinary practice services for the Charlottesville area and are in the process of training a dental specialist for your pet’s needs. We will continue to work with you and your general practice veterinarian to provide the best possible veterinary care for your beloved pets for their emergency needs, but now can also provide primary care with the convenience of 24 hour services for our own general practice clients.
The VETSS veterinary staff is compassionate, competent, and caring. Our doctors and licensed technicians come from a wide range of backgrounds and we are pleased that our team members have chosen to practice here with us in our state-of-the-art hospital in Charlottesville. VETSS veterinarians received training at four different schools of veterinary medicine:
- Dr. Sara Salmon, a Virginia Tech graduate, received further internship training in emergency and critical care veterinary medicine up in Wisconsin.
- Dr. Kathleen Durso has a strong interest in feline medicine and even received an award for her work with cats from The University of Tennessee.
- Dr. Jennifer Cardoza, also a Tennessee graduate, enjoys both general and emergency veterinary practice. She has received further training in ophthalmology.
- Dr. Ryan McKenna received training at both St. George’s and Texas A&M Universities of Veterinary Medicine. He has is currently receiving further training in orthopedic and soft tissue surgery.
- Dr. Jenna Garza, a Texas A&M graduate, has worked extensively in general practice and veterinary dentistry. She continues her dental specialist training and hopes to be approved by the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry in the next couple of years. She continues to train with two veterinary dentists.
- Dr. Michael Blair, a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist, plans to increase his time spent at VETSS in the next couple of months, and will be starting to perform surgeries on site for his clients.
If you choose VETSS as your general practice, you receive a cohesive team approach to medicine that will benefit your pets. VETSS is staffed 24 hours a day/7days a week. Our doctors have full access to our medical records, radiographs, and other diagnostic test results- we are available whenever YOU need us. Compassionate patient care remains our top priority- we love what we do!
VETSS continues to maintain programs such as our Katie Fund. This is a fund which provides for treatment of pets found by good Samaritans. The Katie fund allows VETSS doctors to stabilize the pets, assess their injuries or medical situation, and then transfer them to our wonderful SPCA for further care and hopefully, to find their way home.
VETSS also offers discounted spays and neuters for several rescue groups in the Charlottesville area. We support the efforts of all the kind people who lend their time, love, and homes to help homeless animals in our region. VETSS has a strong community presence that is working to increase Animal Welfare Awareness in our area. This was highlighted in the case of Oscar Phoenix, an American pit bull, who presented with horrific animal abuse injuries this summer. With the help of Ring Dog Rescue, The Humane Society of the United States, and the Katie fund we were able to save Oscar. He is now a happy, well adjusted member of the community once again!!
VETSS staff strives to provide compassionate, state of the art veterinary care with honesty and integrity. We believe that maintaining the highest standard of care for your pet must not be compromised. We promise a dedicated veterinary staff that offers the highest level of medical care and comfort for your pet. Through continuing education, our professional staff continues to expand our collective expertise and remain current in the ever advancing world of veterinary medicine.
We are ALWAYS here to help!
VETSS is the ONLY 24/7 emergency vet in Charlottesville and now offers complete veterinary care for your pets! Call today to schedule a wellness exam!